Hans Rosling to judge competition. Enter Now!
11 Nov 2013
Infographic competition with head judge Hans Rosling gives you the chance to make data rock
Today sees the launch of an exciting on-line info-graphic competition from NGO Hand in Hand International. Judged by data guru, Hans Rosling, and with a prize of £500 this is your chance to make development data rock.
Help us tell world that jobs beat poverty. What makes and keeps people poor is the lack of a job and an income. If you are poor then your worry every day is how to find the money to put food on the table – a job can change that.
We want you to design an info-graphic that uses data to communicate this and to put this in a global context – some would argue that the most important challenge the world faces is how the ever increasing population will earn a living:
- 1.2 billion people live on less than US$ 1 a day
- 600 million jobs will be needed in ten years’ time
- Over the next 20 years most African countries will double or triple their working age population.
- But only 25% of young men and 10% of young women will be able to secure jobs in the formal sector by the time they are 30.
The answer lies in the informal sector – where a job does not mean a pay cheque but, a small business.If you look at poverty differently you’ll see grassroots entrepreneurs, full of energy and ideas. We know because in ten years we have:
- Generated over 1 million small business
- Which have led to 1.5 million jobs
- And helped support 7.5 million family members
- We help turn their skills and potential into jobs. They discover a way up – and out.
If you can visualize data, if you would like Hans Rosling to endorse your winning entry, if you would like to see your work published off and on-line and if you would like to help change the world for the better then enter now. Closing deadline 24 January 2014.
Next: Saving is not a luxury